Carlong Principles of Business for CSEC With SBA, Study Guide & Exercises
The book gives adequate coverage of content and guidance for the students to do well in the examination.
As a valuable add-on, this new edition is accompanied by an exciting interactive CD which seeks to further illuminate aspects of principles of business that students find particularly challenging.
- Student friendly objectives at the start of Sections 1 - 10. Student can use them to ensure they have covered everything.
- Comprehensive coverage of the syllabus, attractively presented with a variety of illustrations and graphics
- Applying the Concepts offer invaluable opportunities to apply theoretical concepts to real life situations
- Questions and Guide to Answers offer invaluable guidance on the kind of responses sought by the examiners
- A range of opportunities for practice and assessment including
- regular exercises on key topics
- multiple choice questions and coursework assignments at the end of each section
- Summary of Terms and Summary of Section at the end of each section capture key terms and content
- A complete simulated examination paper. Two other examination papers have been placed on the Carlong website
- Detailed guidelines for the preparation the SBA component of the course
- Key words and concepts highlighted in colour
- A comprehensive index
Look out For:
- Draft Business Plan
- Sample business documents
- Attractively presented information
- Guidelines for preparation of SBA component
- Exciting interactive CD
Notes To Teachers:
NOTES TO TEACHER
An Old Favourite is Brand New Again!
Welcome to this new revision of your old favourite, CXC Principles of Business. As always, the main focus of this book is to assist students in the study of principles of business. You will find that Carlong Principles of Business for CSEC With SBA, Study Guide and Exercises, and with an interactive CD-ROM as well, provides comprehensive coverage of the entire CXC syllabus as we cover all the objectives listed in the syllabus. We have taken care as well to provide questions at the level of the examination to challenge the students ability and adequately prepare them for the examination.
Where it is necessary to explain certain business concepts, we have provided additional material beyond what is required by the syllabus. While our focus is on the examination, we see this book as an important part of the education of the students for life in the real world.We have addressed the reorganization of the syllabus and have given comprehensive treatment to the new sections, such as Section 3: Establishing a Business?. We have also embraced the new areas added to some sections, such as copyrights, patents and stock markets. Other sections have been totally revamped and some topics from previous chapters have been moved to other sections where they are more relevant. This has been done, for example, with insurance which is now included in Section 4: Legal Aspects of a Business. This book will equip your students admirably to deal with the challenges that this new syllabus brings.
The School Based Assessment (SBA) Paper 03/1 and the Alternative to the School Based Assessment Paper 03/2 have been revised. Assistance in writing both papers is provided in Part III: Examination Tips and in Section 3: Establishing a Business.The book has the following additional objectives. To help students to become familiar with business documents.To help students to answer questions that will satisfy the emphases of the CSEC syllabus. To assist teachers in providing class or coursework assignments at the level of the examinations.
To assist teachers to set questions at the level of the CSEC examinations.
Inclusion of the CD-ROMCarlong has included with the textbook an interactive CD-ROM that offers additional material for practice and reinforcement. We have not treated every topic in the syllabus but have chosen those that our experience has indicated are the most challenging or the least well done by the students. We have followed closely the examiners? reports on the examinations each year and have designed the exercises to attack those areas of challenge or weakness. We have exercises on Sections 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 and 10. The material is interactive and students get feedback on their answers. The answers to all the multiple choice items in this book are included on the CD.
Organization of the TextThe book speaks directly to students and is divided into three parts. We have further divided those parts into chapters, naming them sections, as in the syllabus.
- Part I of the book examines the syllabus and the structure of the examination to help students realize what is required of them from the outset.
- Part II is divided into 10 sections that relate to the three profiles of the syllabus. Each of these sections lists and covers all the objectives for each section taken from the syllabus and carries a Summary highlighting the key points on each objective for most of the sections. After each section is covered, we provide one question similar to those questions on the Paper 02 of the examination. Guide to responses as well as model responses are provided to this question in order to guide students in answering these types of questions in this paper. You will notice that in most cases we give more responses than the questions require. This allows students to get an idea of the range of possible responses despite the space constraints of the book. This is followed by 10 Multiple Choice Questions at the level of Paper 01. Coursework Assignments are provided next. These will help to build the students? knowledge base through guided research. To develop their critical thinking skills even further, we have included a new feature in each section of Part II called Applying the Concepts. This precedes the Summary of the Section to assist students in understanding how the principles learnt may be applied in certain real life business situations.
- Part III gives assistance on the examination covering Paper 03/1 the SBA and the alternative paper for private candidates Paper 03/2. Students are also given tips that will settle them and help them to cope with the pressures that may arise in both preparing for and sitting the examination. In addition, Part III has one complete simulated examination to test and expose students further to the level of questions expected for CSEC candidates. Two other simulated examination practice papers are on the Carlong website, www.carlongpublishers.com. There is a comprehensive Index at the end of the book. We trust that this book will be of much value to you. Please check the Carlong website for updates on the information in the book and for additional assistance with some topics, some of which are referred to in the textbook.
You know your students best so you will be able to judge whether some of the exercises indicated for group work are better done individually or vice versa. We know you will encourage them to read widely and keep abreast of what is happening around them and globally. We would be grateful to have your feedback on this book through the Carlong website.
NOTES TO STUDENTSHow this Book Can Help You Carlong Principles of Business for CSEC With SBA, Study Guide and Exercises (and CD-ROM) is both a textbook and a workbook. It is designed not only to provide you with the knowledge of principles of business but also to help you to apply this knowledge to particular business situations. The CSEC examination in principles of business is designed to test your ability in applying knowledge to specific business situations. This book is therefore aimed at helping you to develop this knowledge, and to apply it, in order to make you better prepared for the CSEC examination in principles of business. The information and exercises have been carefully selected to guide you in developing the skills that are vital to succeed in the examination. You will find this textbook more beneficial if you take the time to read through this text carefully and to attempt all the questions given in each section. This process will reinforce the information discussed and will leave you adequately prepared for the examination.
In addition, we want you to carry out the investigative work in the Coursework Assignments to build your knowledge so that you can develop the skill of writing first-class essays. The course-work assignments cover all the other objectives that we have not treated in the questions provided. Therefore, if you diligently work through these you will cover the entire syllabus and this will put you in good stead to pass the examination at the highest level. We are confident that if you follow a careful schedule of study, using this book as a guide, you will do very well in the CSEC examination. Many students perform poorly in the examinations not because they lack knowledge but because they fail to answer what they have been asked. We have included a section Terms Frequently Used in Principles of Business(POB) Questions? in an effort to help you to interpret questions well. We have introduced this very early in the text so that you can get familiar with the terms and start to use the suggestions and explanations given in class and later when you do the examination. You will notice that some words or phrases in the text appear in bold type. This is our way of alerting you to important concepts or ideas. Those words that are bold and in colour are included in the Index at the back. You can help yourself by making your own personal alphabetical glossary in a special notebook.We wish you to pay special attention to the Applying the Concepts exercises. These exercises encourage the development of your critical thinking and problem solving skills. As you read the text and practise the exercises, you are preparing to deal confidently with real life issues when you leave school.
CD-ROMAn exciting CD-ROM comes with your textbook. It offers interactive exercises and additional material on the most challenging areas of the syllabus clear, step-by-step explanations of theories and concepts; you are likely to retain more from seeing rather than just reading the use of sound, exciting videos, animation, graphic presentations and illustrations that facilitate quicker understanding.
There are 12 sections in the book as follows:
- Part 1 consists of introductory notes to the teacher and the student.
- Part 2 consists of Sections 1 - 10 as listed above.
- Part 3 consists of examination tips, information on the School Based Assessment (SBA) and Paper 03/2 (the alternative to the SBA) and a sample examination paper.