Carlong English B for CSEC With Study Guide and Exercises – 2nd Edition
The book clearly lays out for the students the demands of the syllabus and also helps to develop in them the skills needed to do well in the examination. Key to the building of these skills is the fact that the student is guided into the process involved in analysing poetry, drama and prose.As a valuable add-on, this new edition is also accompanied by an exciting interactive CD which seeks to further illuminate aspects of the study of literature that students find particularly challenging. This component adds value and excitement to the revision process.
- Exciting interactive CD which enhances the teaching of important aspects of literature (see pg 4).
- Discussion and analysis of numerous poems (e.g. pgs 31 - 48 and pgs 50 - 77), play-texts (e.g. pgs 133 - 135, 141?148, 149 - 161) and prose extracts (e.g. pgs 176 - 205, 210 - 260).
- Practice questions for students to complete on their own: e.g. pgs 54, 69, 179, 186 etc
- Quick quizzes: e.g. ; pg 29, pgs 142 - 143 , pg 151 etc
- Hints and pointers e.g.
- Section 9 (pgs 261 - 264): clearly tells students what Papers 1 and 2 require and how to excel in these Papers.
- How to Write an Essay pgs 74 - 75
- How to Approach a Poem pgs 72 - 73
- Creative Ways of Studying the Poems (in Paper 2) pg 49
- The Unseen Poems: see pgs 35 - 48
- Glossary of literary terms: see Section 2: The Language of Literary Criticism (pgs 7 - 24) and Other Terms (pgs 25 - 28).
- Glossary of key terms and key phrases frequently used in the examination: see pgs 265 - 266
- Four simulated examination papers: see pgs 267 - 303
- A comprehensive index
Look out For:
- Analysis of set texts
- Questions with suggested responses
- Hints on how to approach Papers 1 and 2
- Hints on how to write an essay
- Exciting interactive CD
Notes To Teachers:
- To assist teachers in setting out of class assignments in such a way as to develop, in students, the skills demanded by the CSEC syllabus specifically and the study ofliterature generally.
- To help students learn to approach questions in a way which satisfies the emphases of the CSEC syllabus.
- To assist teachers in designing questions which are similar to those set in the CSEC examinations, in order to give students practice.
- To help students learn how to make suitable choices of questions when in the actual examination situation.We have revised this book with special attention to meeting two concerns:
- To be even more student-centred, so that teachers can, with some guidance, encourage independent work by students, and facilitate students working through the lessons and exercises individually or in groups.
- To meet the requests of some students and teachers for specific guides, comments, and notes which illuminate texts set for the CSEC examinations in the years 2012 - 2017.
Notes To Students:
You should read this book carefully. We are aware that teachers do not have enough
class time to go into the details of various aspects of the syllabus and many students need a book to assist them in developing literary skills.
prose, an exciting interactive CD-ROM has been added to the book. As you use this CD-ROM, you will be able to look, listen and learn as various aspects of literature come alive in front of you. You will be free to listen, read/look and do, depending on your natural preference or on what you choose to do at a particular time. For example, your understanding of metre and rhythm will be further enhanced as you hear poems read as they should. You will also be able to read the text on screen if you choose and maybe see video clips or still images that complement the poem.
You will be able to click on any of the topics on the bookstand in the main menu and you will be taken to the area specified. The topics included on the CD-ROM have been chosen because we think you need extra help with them.
We believe that if you work through this book and the CD-ROM conscientiously and follow the advice given, you will develop the skills needed for deriving pleasure from literature, for reading with insight and hence for doing well in the CSEC English B examination.
There are 10 sections in the book as follows:
- Section 1 of the book introduces students to the requirements of the examination, indicating the skills and aptitudes that must be built and outlining how the book will help them to do that.
- Section 2 deals with the language of literary criticism.
- Sections 3 and 4 concentrate on helping students to become comfortable reading and critiquing poetry, and prepare them for Paper 1 and Paper 2 through discussion of numerous seen and unseen poems and activities.
- A similar approach is taken for Sections 5 and 6 (for Drama) and Sections 7 and 8 (for Prose), whereby a number of sample texts and extracts are analysed, and questions that simulate the English B examination are given to students for practice.
- Section 9 gives tips and pointers on how to do well in the examination.
- Section 10 offers four simulated examination papers that provide valuable additional practice for students (two for each of the periods 2012 - 2014 and 2015 - 2017).