Live Language: A Writing and Comprehension Course for Juniors Book 1
Subject: Language Arts
ISBN: 978 976 801 064 3
Age Group: 7 - 9 years
Teachers looking for effective new ways to develop pupils' writing, comprehension and vocabulary skills will welcome this innovative series of three books. Using the process writing approach, with lessons organized around themes, topics are drawn from various subject areas, giving integrated curriculum coverage. Pupils are exposed to a variety of writing forms while interactive discussions develop speaking and listening skills. Reasoning and comprehension abilities are developed through a wide range of stimulus materials and creative activities. Rich literary excerpts, stories and poems are used to teach appreciation for reading and literature. The course is particularly appealing to students who enjoy the exciting, relevant content and the fresh, creative activities.
Organization of lessons around themes
- Exposure to a variety of writing forms, e.g. letters, poems, dialogues, journals, compositions
- Opportunities for oral discussion to develop speaking and listening skills and interaction with peers and teacher
- Comprehension passages assess understanding of explicit and implicit meanings
- Rich literary stimuli relate literature to real life experiences and aid the development of an appreciation for reading and literature
- Imparting of important values and attitudes such as courtesy, respect for the environment, etc.
- Strong emphasis on development of pupil's reasoning skills, e.g. distinguishing between cause and effect, inferring meaning, making judgments, etc.
- Inclusion of a variety of interesting and creative exercises such as responding to picture stimuli, completing word webs, dramatization, etc. to engage pupils' interest while they develop a range of skills
Look out For:
- Journal writing and portfolio assessment exercises
- Exercises in Book 3 that give valuable practice in communication tasks such as those tested in the GSAT/CEE